Whether you are a school leaver considering your options or an adult looking for a change, studying towards a career in the electrical sector could bring you a world of excitement and opportunity. If you enjoy learning in a practical way and would love to work in a job where no two days are the same, a career in electrical installation could be right for you. Read on to discover five reasons to consider a career in this booming industry!
- High rates of pay. With a national average salary of over £33,000 for UK electricians, there is no doubt that this is an incredibly lucrative field to break into. Those who train to become electrical engineers can expect a sizeable annual income of up to £60,000.
- Abundant career opportunities. Electricians are currently in high demand, meaning that there are ample job opportunities for newly qualified electricians. The UK is experiencing a skills shortage, with the demand for electricians far exceeding the supply. With recent analysis predicting that an additional 15,000 fully qualified electricians will be needed over the next five years, there has never been a better time to join this thriving industry.
- Varied working environment. As an electrician, you’ll often be on the move and working at a range of different sites. One day you might be wiring in a new home, the next you could be repairing an electrical panel at a large warehouse. This industry is ideal for those who enjoy solving problems, working with their hands, and meeting new people.
- Self-employment opportunities. If you’ve always dreamed of working for yourself, training as an electrician could help you gain the necessary skills to realise your ambition. Becoming self-employed allows you to be your own boss, set your own working hours, and work on a greater variety of jobs. With established self-employed electricians making an average of £40,000 per year, there is potential to make a substantial wage if you decide to go it alone.
- Exciting technology. The electrical sector is seeing major changes as we strive towards a more sustainable way of life. Working in this industry means you’ll be at the forefront of the latest smart and clean energy technologies, from smart meters to solar panels. Working with the latest environmentally-friendly technology means you will be specialising your skills as well as helping to protect the planet!
Like what you hear? Why not apply to study electrical installation and benefit from our industry-standard facilities and expert teaching? Click here for adult courses and here for school leaver courses.