Image of Mid Cheshire College building

School Leaver funding support

You may be able to access a wide range of finance and funding support to help you during your time at college.

If you are aged 16-18 at the start of your course and your joint household income is £31,000* or less per year, you may be eligible to receive support from the 16-18 Bursary Fund.

There are two types of bursary:

  • Guaranteed Bursary – If you are under 19 at the start of your course and living in care, or are a care leaver, or you are receiving income support, universal credit
    or Employment Support Allowance or PIP together with the Disability Living Allowance, then you may be eligible
    to receive a bursary equivalent to £1,200 a year (pro rata).
  • Discretionary Bursary – This could support you with the costs of transport, meals in college, uniform, equipment and materials, trips, course related costs (including DBS checks and visits), UCAS fees
    and travel to university interviews/open days, or one off emergency costs.

Click here to complete a Learning Support Fund application form and return it to the Learner Services department. The health & wellbeing team can talk to you about the bursary and any other financial concerns. This service is confidential.

For further information about finance and funding support, visit Learner Services or telephone 01925 494501 or 01606 720649.


 *Correct in 2019/20.  Subject to change each academic year.

Useful information

Child benefit
If you are in full time further education, this will continue to be paid until your twentieth birthday.

Childcare support
Learners who are under 20 at the start of the course, should apply to Care to Learn. Care to Learn will pay a contribution to childcare and any necessary travel costs to and from your childcare provider.

NHS Charges
If you are aged 16-19 years and attend college on a full time basis, you will be exempt from NHS charges.